Friday, January 10, 2014

Whiskey and Bread Pudding



I hope you all had a wonderful holiday season.

Or I at least hope that no one will find the bodies. The secret is safe with me. Just don't look in the crawl space of my house. Just Sayin.


So over the holidays, after turning into a cookie factory, I was a little done with Christmas cookies, so I decided to make something else for Santa to eat...and drink. Come to find out, the REASON I couldn't seem to keep cookies in the house was due to a four-legged creature that was getting up on the table, putting them into her mouth, and walking away calmly to her crate where she gorged herself. Well, after a night of thinking she was dying, I found out why. She'd eaten a couple dozen cookies. Dumbass.

ON TO THE WHISKEY! Okay, and the bread pudding.

This recipe I got from my two sisters from other misters (and mothers too) Jennifer and Tracey. Their family has a long history with Irish Whiskey, and there is a lot of love attached to it, and not just in the alcoholic, drink-til-you-fall-down-because-we're-Irish way. We toast their father (Who now resides in an Urn) every year with Jameson, on what they call his D-Day.

I have tweaked it slightly only because the first time I made it, it was fall and I wanted an excuse to add pumpkin and spices. If you want the purest version, omit the pumpkin, one egg and all spices.


Here is the recipe:

Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Irish Whiskey Sauce

1 loaf of stale bread (Suggested Irish Soda bread, but any will do as long as it isn't flavored)
4 cups milk (2% or more milk fat), scalded
4 large eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp real vanilla extract
3 tbsp melted unsalted butter
2 cups canned pumpkin
Cinnamon
Allspice
Ginger
Nutmeg
Ground cloves

Sauce
1 cup granulated Sugar
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup Irish Whiskey (I usually use Feckin Spiced Whiskey but all I could get this time was the regular)

Cut up the loaf of bread into bite sized-ish pieces. I made bread the day before (Honey Oatmeal Bread, click here for the recipe) and it got hard (hehe) because I left it out all night so I decided to use that.



Now lets talk scalded milk. I really have no idea what this means. I see it all the time but my brain is telling me it is milk that is put in a pan over high heat for a few minutes. If you have a steamer, like for Lattes and such, steam the milk. I think the whole point is to change the proteins in the milk and develop the sugars. This is what I have done, but if you all have a different way or know something else about it, please tell me. It is something that I have always wondered about...

Get your milk, sugar, and butter in a pan, and combine over low heat. Add pumpkin and spices.





Now you want to beat the eggs, and temper them. Tempering is a way of adding raw eggs to hot liquids without making scrambled eggs when you do it. If you have ever made anything custard like, not from a mix, you have done this. You take a little of the hot mix, and add it slowly to the beaten eggs until combined. Add a little more and then add the whole egg mix to the pan with the rest of the hot liquid. Eggs become a thickener, not breakfast. Heat this whole lot until ALMOST boiling.






Then pour this whole hot mess on the pan with the bread in it. Mix it up so it is thoroughly combined.

This picture is really shitty but it is hard to take a pic and pour at the same time.
My usual helpers were not around as it was Christmas Eve. 


Now bake in the oven at 375, for approx 30 minutes. You are looking to solidify, and brown the pudding.

Ain't she gorgeous!?! Please ignore my filthy stove.

Now to make the sauce:
Butter, melted...
 Add Sugar....

Then the heavy cream and bring to a slow boil.


Add your whiskey...and drink a little too. You know what the famous foodies say about cooking wines and all that....if you won't drink it, don't cook with it.

Look away from my filthy stove. 

This is the whiskey I use. They make a spiced variety but I couldn't get any that day. Major Sad Face!! But I will suffer through!




Now according to the recipe I am supposed to let the alcohol cook off. This is wrong and I will not do it. YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!

You can serve one of two ways. You can pour all the sauce on the pudding and then cut and serve or put it on individual pieces before you serve. I pour it all on, because this stuff is even better the next day. Hair of the dog, y'all.




Tracey made one with toasted caramel and Black Velvet, for New Years and it was amazeballs. This recipe is versatile, and really hard to screw up. I want to do an Irish Cream version and then a Toasted Almond Vanilla Bean one with the spiced Feckin. As I always say, make this your own, play with it and experiment. You understand the basics now, so there is no reason you can't own this shit.

Shalom y'all, and here's to the Holidays without Homicide! (*winkwink*)

No comments:

Post a Comment